miércoles, 4 de abril de 2007

sorry i was dying

Sorry I haven´t written in a while, i just haven´t had enough time. I wasn´t able to go into town over the weekend b-c I was puking and on the verge of death. Needless to say it was due to the habecheulas con dulce, or sweet beans, that is made as a treat for easter. Everytime i think about them i cringe. I haven´t been able to eat any beans since then, but i hope i can bring myself to do it soon b-c they are a sustainial portion of my protein intake.
Anyway everything else has been good, learning alot. We went to a cacao plantation, but there was no chocolate to be found, so that was a bummer. We planted over 200 saplings between last week and this week, it was hard work but so fun, i got super dirty cuz i was the hole digger. I ain´t saying she a hole digger.... haha It was raining that day and i was wearing gloves and the skeeters were biting and i would slap them. I eventually started thinking that they didn´t bite where i was dirty, but i was wrong. I look like i have chicken pox once again
Next week we are going to a pueblo on the Haitian border called Resuracion. We will be there for a week and we get to cook for ourselves American cuisine, camp out, and bathe in the river!!!! I´m so stoked, Then the saturday we travel back to Santo Domingo. then the monday we get our site locations and cell phones!!!! Its quite the exciting time
Nobody worrry about me being on the Haitian border, although there is a general loathing of Haitian, i haven´t seen any violence towards them. There are Haitians everywhere too, even in this small town of Jarabacoa that i´m in now. They are alot of construction workers. We are safe.

Spanish is really frustrating. But i have double my language score since i´ve been here 2.0 to a 4.0. I know i´ll learn, but i wish i could just wake up and know it one day

I also had an interview with the placement officer and he said that he is thinking about placing me in a small community close to Santiago, in the North. Just so everyone knows this is good news! Its BEAUTIFUL in the north. Absoutely gorgeous!! I won´t find out for sure but if you wanna research thats the information that i have now.

alright i love everyone!!! And i will update soon

3 comentarios:

Lookingup dijo...

I was getting worried that we weren't hearing! Now I understand why! You were dying! Whew thats a relief, now I feel better. Ha Ha.
Those beans sound scary. Why do the sweet beans make you sick? Did your family get offended you didn't take well to their Easter "treat"? Thats wild.
Enjoy your American food and bathing in the river! Sounds like an awesome Easter to me!
It was so good to hear from you again!
Love you,
and Happy Bunny Day!

Unknown dijo...

hey babes , sounds like you are having a wild time great and crazy at the same time , my kind of vacation wish i were there . have a great time at the river ....
love daddio

Unknown dijo...

I wish I could have been there after you had defended yourself from those pesky skitos. I'll bet you looked like stormy after a walk in the mud. How did you ever score the hole digger job? Way to go. Have fun mingling with the haitians. Hey, you know me, no worries, hahhahaha! No really, I am so happy and proud that you are living and living 100% (aside from the sweet bean near death experience), love tu' mama