lunes, 11 de junio de 2007

This week in Ranchito

Soooooooooo as you could tell by my last blog the week before was very frustrating. Let me just say this week was equally frustrating. Lola drives me crazy. She makes a good cake tho. And she is finally washing my clothes after 2 weeks. I'm starting to wonder tho why its always on the cloudy foggy days that she washes MY clothes.
I taught an English class on thursday, which wasn't very good b/c i'm not a teacher, i didn't even prepare anything, but i taught them "head and shoulders, knees and toes" and they enjoyed that.
But this weekend was pretty fun actually. Saturday night i went to a birthday party which i was positive it was going to be a bunch of people sitting around in a circle of chairs with no food and the women not drinking, but it was actually really fun. They had a merengue tipico band with the palo drums, acordian, maracas, and those cheese grater instruments, i forget what they are called, but i was so frustrated from having a sucky week that i just danced my lil heart out. It was really fun b/c i'm starting to get to know the people in the community so it wasn't like everyone was a stranger. Alot of my kids from the youth group were there and i really like them. I feel like they are starting to look up to me, so I am making sure I'm a good role model for them.

Last night I went to play pool in my town, which i didn't even know they had pool tables and i'm still trying to figure out how they got them up the mountain. but anyway, a fight broke out and I'm fine, it wasn't anywhere near me, but one guy had to go to the hospital, from what i gather his head got cut from a glass bottle. Now this sort of thing doesn't happen in Ranchito, its the talk of the town. And until the fight i was contimplating becoming a pool shark, but the table is on a slant and they don't have chalk for the end of the stick, they use dirt, and the lights kept going off cuz the generator would fail, and then there was the fight, so now my idea of becoming a pool shark has been smoothered. Probably better that way. I'll find another hobby. haha

OK so get this, last week when i got back from Santiago my 15 year old host sister was sitting on a mans lap. I was cornfuzzled. It turns out he is her boyfriend from newyork, he has family in Ranchito too and thats how they met. The story would be fine if it ended there, but it doesn't. He's 35, and let me repeat, she's 15 years old! They are talking about marriage and planning the marriage, of course he has to wait until she is of age, but he is taking her to ny in 6 months, but just as a girlfriend, my dona says. Ok you think that is bad enough, theres more. This 35 year old man is MUTE, he doens't speak, he cant speak, says no words what so ever, and you would think that they would do sign language or maybe write on a piece of paper to have a conversation, but that doesn't happen either. So wierd. And here's the kicker, her mom, my crazy dona Lola thinks ITS GREAT, they are in love, and even though he's mute "he drives his own car and has money!" She is sooooooooo crazy. Its not great, its the craziest situation i've ever had to pretend isn't crazy. So anyway thats whats going on in my world

This week i'm going to the capital, so i'll be on the computer from friday until monday without fail if anyone wants to email me

3 comentarios:

Unknown dijo...

That sounds crazy there. The altitude (or sweet beans) must be screwing with everyone's brain... good luck on your crazy mountain!

Lookingup dijo...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry!
Holy Smoke. Thats all I can say. Holy Smoke.

Rosa dijo...

Hi!! I just wanted to say thanks for joining the peace corps, the DR really needs u. Well ofcourse u don't know me. I was born n' raise in NYC but my parents are Dominican and they're from a campo of Santiago. Listen plse don't think that everyone there has the same mentality I am very sure that this poor girl is made fun of because of this relations and it is very obvious that the fact that a green card can b involved has lots to do w/ it. It is practically impossible for this man to take a minor especially w/ no green card into the states. Plse feel free to keep intouch if you need anything.