lunes, 14 de mayo de 2007

Mas

I've got some time before the meeting, we are running on dominican time....

So anyway...I'm still with the nutty lady, but she's not that bad, and i've located a house and am going to pay some rent up front so that they will fix the walls. Needs more wood. I also have to evict the roosters that are housed there now. Its cute and blue, has 2 bedrooms a living room and a kitchen in a seperate building outside the house. I have to share a latrine with the neighbors and build a cubicle to shower in, but other than that is perfect. has electricity and all. The rent is a little steep, this is total sarcasm mind you, 500 pesos a month, if you do the math that only a little over 15 dollars a month, hehehe


I had a bull stick its head in my shower the other day, He was looking for water, but i was not about to let him get at my clean water so i screamed at him in a mean voice naked in the corner of my shower cubicle till his slobbery nose left, then he was blocking the door to the house and i stood there thinking for a while then my host brother came and made him move, boy was that a peace corps moment!!!! Me and that bull are tight now, i can pet him from outside my bedroom window

I went to a Cock fight the other sunday, boy was the testosterone level high in that ring. It was really exciting, the men were arguing and betting. I could only stand to watch 3 fights tho, because the roosters actually fight to the death, It was difficult to watch. Totally a cultural event, necessary to my time here in the DR, i would love to bring my visitors to experience it. Very entertaining. But it was difficult to watch. My host brother raises roosters to fight too, so he was there he's only 17. his birthday was last monday, Lola made a torte on the wood stove, it was pretty fascinating. she made it in a pot, then put a sheet pan on top and put burning wood and fire on the top. Just like an oven, just like it.

hmmm what else is new. not toooo much, i miss everyone very much. Homesickness is the pits, but hopefully my puppy will distract me!!!

Ok time to gooooooo. LOVE YOU ALLLLLLL

I'm going to the capital on thursday through saturday so i should have some pretty good stories after that, also i will have time to go on the computer there too, so watch out for another blog!

2 comentarios:

Carrie Shumway dijo...

Hi Nicky!
Great blog entries!
I just finished Peace Corps Nicaragua about a month ago and am planning a trip down to the DR with a nursing group in July.

At the moment I am making travel plans, and wanted to ask you about the lacal or expreso busses from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata.

I figured that if ANYONE knows the bus schedules, it's the PCVs who ride the public busses all the time!

I guess my main question is:
Where in Santo Domingo, do the busses leave for Santiago/Puerto Plata, and how early in the morning do they begin running? I have a flight into SD at like 345am and want to get to Puerto Plata ASAP :)

Thanks for your time...and if you don't have the info, no sweat!

Have a great two years!

Carrie Shumway
Nica 37--Community Health Education
please reply to carrieshumway1@yahoo.com

Lookingup dijo...

Nicole,
That is hysterical with the bull., thats no bull, its really funny. The cock fights sound too creepy for me. I'll pass if we come down. Too brutal! Hows that little puppy pie of yours? Whats her name? Did you just find a puppy on the beach? Just walking around? We don't get it!
Love you!