jueves, 15 de marzo de 2007

1 month in country!!!

Hi guys,
So I´ve been here in the DR for 1 month!!!! Feels gooood. Only 26 left!!
Today was an exciting day. I saw my first TARANTULA. We were working in the field and it was walking along, It was soooo much bigger than the ones in the pet store. It was very cool but i did get the heebie jeebies. After that we cleared a field with yolked oxen and the old fashioned plows. The oxen spoke spanish, well understood spanish. Those things whipped me around. My arms are so tired and my legs as well.

If you guys wanna see a video of our agforestry group introducing ourselves I HAVE JUST THE THING... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd6l2OBWrhg

There are also pictures from today, but i can´t seem to find them right now. I´´ll investigate that tomorrow.

I am so dirty and smelly right now. Its alot cooler here in the mountains than in santo domingo. I use a blanket at night and keep the window closed. I also bought a pair of sweatpants yesterday in town, but they are dominican sweatpants. Which means they are TIGHT! haha I got a size grande too cuz i was afraid of that. But thats ok i suppose, they keep me warm at night. I also wear one of my tiny jackets during spanish class, cuz the breeze is muy fresca.

Last night for dinner i had boiled bananas and eggplant mush. But before that when our tech trainer took us into town I had a slice of pizza. MMM. We fit 11 people into a toyota SUV it was hilarious, but didn´t feel abnormal b-c thats how they do it here. Oh and this morning we got a ride in the back of a random pickup truck with about 15 dominican kids on the way to school. It was great. I hope they stop for us everyday!!!

3 comentarios:

Lookingup dijo...

Nicole!
I loved the pictures of you plowing in the field on your friend Jake's blog! I love love love them! You look awesome! Glowing and happy, and well, you just look right out there in the field. I'm soooo proud of you! So much, I'm grinning ear to ear now! You are awesome. Just like I knew you would be.
Eggplant and bananas???? Yikes.
Love you lots! Aunt Lisa

Lookingup dijo...

Nicky,
Uncle Steve and I loved the you tube., you look so happy, you look like your thriving!

cusinkati dijo...

OMG NIKI THAT LOOKED LIKE SOO MUCH FUN! I THINK IT WOULD BE FUN TO HITCH A RANDOM RIDE. I SAW SOME PICS. AND YOUR VIDEO AND I WAS SO GOOD TO SEE YOU SO HAPPY, REAL, AND IN YOUR ELEMENT.
LOVE U LOTS
CUSINKATIE